Many of the problems raised by competition policy and market regulation gain from being addressed not only from an interdisciplinary perspective but also from an international one.
In 2012 BECCLE joined a European network of research institutions with a similar focus: CLEEN (Competition Law and Economics European Network).
As of June 2012, the network comprises, in addition to BECCLE:
- The Amsterdam Center for Law and Economics (ACLE) at the University of Amsterdam
- The Centre for Infocommunication Law at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest
- The Centre for Competition Policy (CCP) at the University of East Anglia
- The Centre for Market and Public Organization (CMPO) at the University of Bristol
- The Mannheim Centre for Competition and Innovation, MACCI, University of Mannheim
- The Max-Planck Institute for research on collective goods, Bonn
- The Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies at the European University Institute, Florence
- The Tilburg Law and Economics Center, TILEC, Tilburg University
The cooperation is aimed at the joint organisation of conferences and workshops, exchange of data and ideas, the exchange of (PhD) researchers and – ultimately – joint research. So far, seven successful events took place, the latest having been held in May 2013 in Bergen.
The Centre for Competition Policy (CCP) at the University of East Anglia, Norwich will host the 8th CLEEN workshop on 10-11 June 2014.
The Bergen Center for Competition Law and Economics, BECCLE, hosted the 7th CLEEN workshop in Bergen, Norway on 13-14 May 2013.
The Mannheim Center for Competition and Innovation hosted the 6th CLEEN workshop in Mannheim, Germany, 10-11 May 2012.
The European University Institute hosted the 5th CLEEN workshop in Florence on 9-10 May.
The Amsterdam Center for Law and Economics, ACLE, hosted the 4th CLEEN workshop in Amsterdam on 21 April 2010.
Keynote speakers were Jan Boone (TILEC) and Christopher Engel (Bonn).
The Tilburg Law and Economics Center, TILEC, hosted the 3rd CLEEN workshop at Tilburg University in The Netherlands on 14-15 May 2009.
The Centre for Competition Policy, CCP, hosted the 2nd CLEEN workshop at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, UK on 11-13 June 2008. At the initiative of CCP, the workshop was specifically designed to showcase the work of the network’s young researchers.
The Max-Planck Institute for Research and Collective Goods hosted the first CLEEN workshop in Bonn, Germany, in December 2007.